Thursday, July 31, 2014

One month into Retirement--Loving it!

One month into retirement.  As I have heard others say, 'How did I have time to work'.  I am sure they meant 'how did I have time to work at 'other' employment' because I am certainly still working, --still need to make money, but more of a choice of more creative ways to do it.  Yesterday, I took my granddaughter to two doctor's appointments to get her ready for the new school year (don't even get me started on how early in the summer that kids go back to school--maybe that helps the less than honest unemployment figures since they hardly have time to get a job).  Anyway, between appointments we had time to go shopping.  Not my favorite thing to do, but Liberty makes it fun.  Hope she liked it to.  (Went to Salvation Army--what a great place to shop.  If you have not donated or shopped there, give it a try.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  Many times we forget that we should look for and buy used clothing, etc as a way of recycling.)   So, I got to spend time with her, kept my daughter from having to take time off from work, and made sure Lib got the appointments done before school started.  That's what grandparents are for.  Too bad so many children grow up with grandparents that are too far away.  We do have a significant role to play in the raising of our grandkids.  And what fun!!!
     Recently received my Indiana State Substitute Teacher certificate so I am ready to do that for 2 elementary schools in the county.  Would like to do that a few days a week during the school year.  Lots of plans for next spring with meat rabbits, chickens, and milk goats. 
    Farmers Market continuing.  Knitting and weaving like mad for the Nov 8 Tri Kappa Craftacular in Attica.  Made another batch of soap last week to be sure to have enough inventory.  My soap is aged for 2 months before I put it out for sale.  Cucumbers are ready to crock for pickles, sunflowers are 7 ft high (the seeds are super protein for our chickens--part of the reason our eggs are so healthy) and winter squash vines showing tiny baby squashes under the blossoms--another source of good food for both the chickens and ourselves.  Swiss chard prolific as always.  So glad we decided that chard is a much better route to go instead of spinach.  Tastes like spinach (both raw & cooked), but just produces and produces all summer long and well into the fall.  Both Chard and Kale have immense vitamins and minerals.  From reading everything coming out about Kale, you would think it had been newly discovered.  England and Europe have been growing it for hundreds of years for its ability to last almost all the way through the winter and provide them with the only 'green' during those months!  As they say 'what's old is new again'. 
   Off to my loom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment